PURPOSE OF POSITION: By performing technical laboratory testing in the laboratories of OMG clinics, this position serves the patient, the physician and other staff members.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires full range of body motion including manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Frequent walking, sitting, bending, and standing required for extended periods of time. Lifts and carries items weighing up to 40 pounds. Requires visual acuity and normal color perception. Corrected vision and hearing to normal range. Requires exposure to communicable diseases and fluids common to a clinic environment.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, ionizing radiation, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to a clinic environment.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Perform waived, moderate and high complexity clinical laboratory testing according to approved procedure.
- Responsible for test performance, specimen handling, testing and reporting patient and QC test results for Urinalysis, Hematology, Bacteriology, Mycology, Parasitology, General Immunology, Routine chemistry, Endocrinology, Microscopic exam and Toxicology. Follow the laboratory’s procedures for specimen handling, processing, test analysis, dilutions, reporting, resulting in the LIS and maintaining records of patient results. Knowledgeable of specimen collection, handling and specimen processing. Help with specimen processing as needed.
- Follow procedures and appropriately perform quality control, linearities and calibrations. Perform and document start up, maintenance, calibrations, control checks of instruments and reagents following established standards. Verified all QC is within the required range prior to approving patient results.
- Identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results. Monitor quality and troubleshoot potential problems with lab instrument. Immediately correct problems appropriately and notify Lab Manager, Lead Tech or their designee. Follow established laboratory corrective action policies and procedures. Perform routine equipment maintenance and function checks on instruments promptly, properly and according to procedure. Maintain thorough and accurate documentation of quality control, proficiency testing, correction actions, quality assurance and instruments troubleshooting.
- Organize workload effectively and report accurate results in a timely manner. Log qualitative testing and enter test results on Log sheets. Double check manual and LIS interfaced results entries and patient ID prior to approving/releasing results.
- Participate in the evaluation, review and training of new and established techniques and procedures including instrument requirements, space, method of comparison, new instrument set up, correlations and procedures. Participate in the review of lab procedures and report any discrepancies to the Lab Manager.
- Follow department procedure in reporting stats and critical results. Participate in and complete proficiency and competency testing in a timely fashion and according to approved procedure. Test proficiency samples the same as patients.
- Participate in CLIA inspections, OMG training and all safety training sessions. Follow their respective guidelines. Follow OSHA regulations. Follow standard precautions using PPE and spill kits as applicable. Know the location of the SDS, Safety Manual and Chemical Hygiene plan and spill kits.
- Ensure reagents/tests kits have received dates, expiration dates, opened dates and new expiration date if applicable. Do not use expired materials. Inventory laboratory supplies. Clean equipment and work areas. Maintain general appearance of the department. Properly dispose reagents expired and contaminated materials.
- Utilize computer systems and instrumentation with speed and accuracy. Follow LIS procedures. Collect data, prepare reports, answer correspondence and complies statistics as required. Answer questions from customer, providers and lab personnel. Maintain complete records of all testing performed on site.
- Help orient and train on laboratory equipment and new laboratory staff as needed.
- Participate in educational, professional development activities and training exercises as required.
- Attend staff meetings as required.
- Maintain strictest confidentiality.
- Ongoing Customer Service Training.
- Perform other duties as assigned.